These lively discussion sessions, all led by our participants, are at the heart of our Notwestminster 2020 main event on Saturday 15th February 2020. Thank you to everyone who has pitched ideas for workshops.
Our 2020 theme is Big hearts and open minds – if a kinder, more open local democracy is your kind of democracy, you’re in the right place.
Our 2020 workshops are:
Session one – 10.30am to 11.30am:
- Seven Modes of Everyday Participation
Jon Alexander, New Citizenship Foundation
- More sharing and collaboration in local democracy
Sharon Dale, dxw
- Activating local heritage for local democracy
Helen Graham, University of Leeds & My Future York
- Student citizens: making a difference for local communities
Courtney, Lewis, Liv, Philippa and Kyra, students from De Montfort University
Session two – 12 noon to 1pm:
- Ideas for governing collaboratively
Kate Grigg, Centre for Public Scrutiny
- A space where every voice is valued
Gerry Proctor and Zarino Zappia, Engage Liverpool
- Digital and Democracy – friends or enemies?
Ian Graham, VIATIC
- Local civic education: what, how, where and who?
Joe Mitchell, Democracy Club & Kirklees Youth Council
Session three – 2.30pm to 3.30pm:
- Systems of democracy
Catherine Howe, expert in digital innovation
- Design your own local party
Jason Leman, University of Sheffield
- Preference voting – a way to reveal the will of the people
Perry Walker, Talk Shop
- Using arts and play for local democracy
Heidi Murphy BEM, Creative CoLab & Big Dreamers Family Arts Festival
You’ll be able to take part in three different workshop sessions during the day.
Sign up to the Notwestminster email network or follow us @Notwestminster to be the first to hear about the rest of our workshops and other activities. Or Join us on Slack to discuss ideas with other participants.
Turning ideas into action
As usual, we’re setting all our workshop hosts a challenge. The participants in each workshop will be encouraged to come up with a new idea for something practical we can do to strengthen local democracy.
At the end of the day we’ll bring everyone together for our Ideas Bazaar, where we’ll share our ideas and make pledges about what we will each do next. Everyone who is interested is welcome to get involved.